Saturday, April 4, 2009

Missions NO-NO!

While correcting and typing my missions letter (because it's due tomorrow, this Sunday!), I came across a passage I had written while listening to Pompeii by E.S. Posthumus (which I am listening to right now!), and chuckled. So, I wanted to share with you guys! Please, tell me what you think!

"At times, during my challenging trip, I feel as though I am the underdog of the television series, “Survivor.” In every situation, I’ve always come out last and am close to being defeated by the complete level of insecurity and discomfort around me. But, when I finish my challenge and see the smiles and receive the hugs from my students; that is my crowning prize. And, in return, I’ve become tougher. I’ve learned to keep myself clean, bathing in rivers because of lack of plumbing, and eating what was necessary to keep me afloat, out of my own volition. Clearly, I am far under-qualified to survive the television series, but my accomplishments thus far are far greater than what I had originally planned to achieve. "

For a while, I struggled with writing my missions letter because I wasn't allowed to mention "mission", "missionary", or "spread the gospel" in my support letters because of the implications and unseen threats attached to it all. Unseen by me and those around me, but censured and blocked by the Chinese government. Oh, the woe of it all!!

However, I was reminded of Ruth and her love for 'Alias'. True, it's different, but quite similar, wouldn't you agree? After all, we're all secret agents being sent into the battlefields of dangers unknown to spread peace/love and not hate. Drops chocolates and not bombs! Make steak, not war! And then my writing of the support letter became easier because, when you write with your heart, and the facts are clear before you, there's no haze that you must muddle through to get your point across. No amount of flowery can hide your intentions. No, make it simple and put it out there, "I want to go to China and rediscover my roots in hopes of giving back." and they can say nothing, because I sound like a history friend with a need to plant trees. 

Praise the Lord! =) I hope you all are well!

No comments:

Post a Comment