Saturday, February 7, 2009

a word on rain

I love on-again and off-again showers on rainy days. God is in charge. These days make everything more exciting, alive, poignant. I love hearing the rain stop and then hearing it start again. I realize that my focus changes for that day. My appreciation for what I have changes as the weather changes moment by moment. I’m amazed at how beautiful everything seems. All the things that are not eternal are constantly washed away on rainy days. Constantly washed away. Just how it is on the grand scale with our lives. In one day, I go through different emotions and feelings, just to look back upon it all at the end of the day and realize that I’m still here and I’m still alive. That rainy day allows me to see how change is only change to things that can be changed. Although so much of who we are and what we do can be changed, we could, in moments of change, choose to remain steadfast in loving and serving our Lord. And so it is that the rainy days show me God’s faithfulness and promise. I haven’t experienced what Noah went through in the day of yore, but a rainy day does bring me new perspective, new appreciation, and a renewed sense of hope.

A word on rainbows — That rainbow meant something to Noah. I like to think that it’s because of all he went through. It’s everything he went through that instilled the value of the rainbow and its significance. What a beautiful way to remind us that He is faithful and we are to trust in Him. I understand that beautiful reminders are needed every now and then. I once heard a pastor say something about rainbows and refraction. At that time, I thought that that poor Asian pastor meant reflection. I now know what he was talking about. Look at the refracted pieces to see evidence of God’s grace and faithfulness in our broken pasts. We live this life with too little reflection. Our Lord continually calls us to remember. Remember so that you will once again come, taste and see that the Lord is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment