Friday, January 2, 2009

Oh, what's in a name...

Last week, I saw this blog for the first time. A few days ago, I returned to it. Today's the first day I was able to write in it.

Why? I had difficulty registering for an account.

It wasn't so much the technology (although a few of you could probably attest to my shallow...but growing...understanding of all things digital). It was that line after the registration asked for your email address and password: display name.

I don't know why it was so hard. I couldn't come up with a display name a week ago or a few days ago. I thought long and hard about this one (stupid) simple step over and over again.

I'm a thinker, so therefore, I overthought. (And yes, I know that overthink, much less overthought, is not a real word!) I went way beyond the bounds of creativity and overwhelmed myself to the point of closing the registration screen twice!

I know, I know. Pathetic.

Today, I just knew I had to do it. When I came home, I had a flashback and saw Crystal standing at my front door, laptop in hand, declaring, "I brought my laptop, so I could help you sign onto the blog!"

So after signing onto my gmail account, I resolutely gchatted everyone I could and asked them for help in creating my display name!

I know. Pathetic, once again!

I came to the conclusion, after being overwhelmed by everyone else's creativity, that I was too pooped to apply yet another name to myself. At this point in my life, I better be proud of who I am and the name I'm called. So, the conclusion: my display name is what everyone calls me.

I like how it sounds. I like how people say it (most of the time). And I'm glad that I'm not tired of responding to it (although I am hard of hearing at times -- sorry). There's a lot in a name, and at 26, I'm glad I don't have to make up a new one.

Yea, I'm pretty happy with it.

1 comment: