Sunday, January 4, 2009

Teacherly thoughts

It's 9:52 p.m. and I'm about to go to sleep. Ah, the life of a teacher.

Did you know that every time I go back to school after a long break, I get a sense of fear and excitement? I start to dread going back almost half way into break, but as the day draws nearer, that dread slowly fades into curiosity. What have my students been doing? And then, that curiosity evolves into excitement. I can't believe that I'm so blessed to make 150 or so new friends a year. And everyday, I get a chance to sit down with these new little (peculiar and amusing) souls and share my life with them. Invigorating...and a little terrifying.

For some of them, I'm the only reflection of Jesus they see. That's the part that instills fear in me. I better do this job right...I better be a good and bright light...I better bring that saltiness to the table!...or....or...

That thought, in turn, drives my motives and actions. That's the reason I must go to sleep in exactly one minute.

All to Jesus, I surrender...all to Him, I freely give.

May we all shine brightly tomorrow, through our words, actions, thoughts, and attitudes.

2 comments: